Thursday, March 15, 2012

I'm Such an Airhead Sometimes...

Notes:

What can I say? Today was one of those days I DID NOT feel like running. I mean, I would have rather taken a nap or brewed a cup of coffee than jump on the hamster wheel. But nonetheless, I found myself this afternoon with some time and it dawned on me that a run would probably be a good idea. I've got the Shamrock 8K (4.95 miles) this weekend so I want to keep the blood  flowing through my legs early on this week. Friday and Saturday I will rest. (Oh...that's tomorrow...I just realized that. Yes, I'm feeling like the biggest airhead today).

I realize my last 3 runs have all been treadmill, and no it's not because I'm a wimp and can't handle the crappy weather we've been having. I have run in crappy weather before, and I'm sure I'll run in crappy weather again. The weather has definitely been crappy here lately.  But while the newness of the treadmill is gleaming, I'm going to take advantage of it. I think time of day is significant too...mornings you will find me running outdoors (kids in school), but afternoons I will most likely be in my garage because while I would love to run with my jogging stroller, my 6-year-old fights me because he says it is too "babyish" and he wants to ride his bike. He's soooo slow and can't go 3 miles yet so...the treadmill is a lifesaver in the afternoons.

The airhead moment was this...as I was going along in my run, I checked my Nike+ and it read 1.9K...my O2 deprived brain read 1.9 miles...so here I was all excited. "Woohoo! I'm flying along!" I thought. So I vamped up the speed and went for it for the "last half of my run". It wasn't until I reached the 3.1K that I realized, "OMG I still have 1.9K to go! I'm such a dummy!" Naturally the push had sort of depleted any glycogen stores in my muscles so I slowed it way down so I could make it the rest of the way. It is kind of funny...but a lesson in what NOT to do in a race! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment