Friday, March 29, 2013

Proceed With Caution



Style/Workout: 1/3 of my Long Run
Setting/Route: Broadway and Wahana
Mileage: 6 miles/ 10:00"
Progress: (running mileage): 6 today/64.99 this month/ 194.91 year-to-date
(For March I'm aiming for...70 miles)

So...let's start with the good, shall we?

Well I managed 6 miles today, and I'm super close to my goal! That is a great feeling! The weather was great, my cardiovascular health felt great. I have ran more miles this week than last, so that is a plus.

However...today's run did not go as planned. I was headed for 18 miles of Long Run but my ankle had a sharp pain in it for the first 4 miles. It is a feeling I have had before that lingers for about a mile or so then goes away. It's usually no big deal and I successfully wait it out. Today that was just not the case. I tried and tried, I even walked and stretched and it just kept hurting during the run. The "coach" in me and the "mom" in me both agreed, better to be safe than sorry...better to cut it short than hurt yourself. I am right to do that, but it isn't any less a bummer. (By the way, my theory is that it is due to ankle pronation...I think the stress of it is finally taking a toll and I'm going to have to get some custom insoles to properly support my arch and ankle).

I know I can finish this marathon. I know it. I have a half marathon in 2 weeks that I am going to run my heart out in. I really want to P.R. (1:57:04) In order to do that however, I need to be uninjured. And now I proceed with caution to YouTube to learn how to use K-Tape ;)

Only 2 more days in the month of April! Can I squeak out 5.01 miles and meet my goal? Stay tuned to find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment