Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Going Running in the Rain

 
You know you are an Oregon runner if running in the rain is just "part of the experience"

Style/Workout: 6.2 Miles +Hill  
Setting/Route:  Seaside Prom+Cove  
Mileage:  6.2 miles  
Progress: (running mileage):  6.2 today/ 26.07 this month/ 299.04 year-to-date
(For May I'm aiming for...75 miles)

Today's run is brought to you by...rainy Oregon weather. And for one of the first times, I embraced it wholeheartedly. It wasn't raining when I left, but I knew it probably would rain...and I didn't mind one bit! There is something wonderful about running in the rain. It seems to just wash away your cares, your sweat, and is so refreshing. And let's face it...there's less people out and about!

Today I wore my hat, some Nike running pants, and a zip-up sweatshirt. It was a no-fuss kind of outfit. I programmed my Nike+GPS for 5 miles, but somewhere at mile 2 I decided to head all the way up the hill. I need some more hill work as the Helvetia Half Marathon has lots of rolling hills. At the hill, it really started pouring...and I splish-sploshed all the way home. My 2nd half was slower than my 1st half, mostly in part to the added weight I had gained by being soaked. 

All in all, I did not regret getting out and running in the rain today! Sure, it might be a little bit hard on my shoes, and I have to lay my stuff out to dry rather than throwing it straight in the hamper. But running in the rain gives you a chance to "look back after a difficult run and say, yes, I did that." That's a quote by Lesley Hocking in a very cool article I read recently in Boston Magazine (online). Read up...then stalk your weather forecast for some rain...and get out and run in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment