Monday, April 30, 2012

I'm Baaaaaack!

20 days until the Portland Rock n Roll Half Marathon! 

I took a week off of exercise last week. I really don't have any particular reasons, I just really needed to devote more time to my studies and family. And if I'm being honest, I think I have been getting a bit burnt out. I think a week off was good. I was raring to go this morning. I won't be doing that again for a while, at least not until after my half marathon (and even then I might not need a ton of time off). So...that being said, I am back at it!


The run went well! I was nervous to see what would happen after not running for a week. It was ok! I warmed up in the gym which felt awesome. I was ready to hit the ground running. It was like my legs were meeting an old friend they had missed. But I took it easy, went the responsible route and had a good warm-up. Then I went out!

Nike+ has such great tools for analyzing your runs!


The first 2 miles were rough. My legs felt weak, like I hadn't eaten enough, or like I was having caffeine jitters. I pushed through it knowing that once I got going for a while it would get better. I even stopped at one point, and since no one was around, I lectured my legs, "Ok legs, enough! We are going for a run so get with it!" Yeah, I'm a weirdo. I don't care. It kind of worked.

My legs started to feel better around 2.5 miles when the wind/rain started whipping me all around which wasn't very fun. Around mile 3 the medial area of my ankle started to hurt. I focused on my form and keeping my chin up which helped. I wore my ACE bandage after the run for a few hours and I don't feel any trouble down there anymore. It's just a weird spot.


I kind of hate this ankle brace. The stitching around the edges is just too thick and cuts into my skin

It was rainy and windy and cold, but I didn't care. It was strangely refreshing. I pushed forward and then started up 16th street hill which kicked my arse. I did pretty good for the first 3/4 but the last 2 blocks I almost threw up. Then my legs felt so jelly that I almost fell getting down the stairs to the locker room. Taking a week off made an impact I think, and not a good one. Or maybe the first run back is always the hardest. I cooled down, did abs and arms last, then hit the showers.

The rest of the day my IT bands/hips were quite tight and stiff. I kept having to stretch them out and I will be sure to seriously roll them out tonight as well. I am still sore the day after too, but I have a 3-miler ahead of me to work out the lactic acid.

Last thoughts or tidbits:
My RF mentioned these and I found them at Walmart!
Love these Sport Beans. They are really yummy! I've been trying out some different fuel products to see what I like best. I like the Sport Beans for taste but I don't think I would want to have to chomp on them or let them dissolve during a long run. I know myself, and once I get past mile 4 or 5 I don't want to make any movements that divert my energy from keeping form and running.

{So far I like the Clif Shot Blocks the best.}

The Soles are beginning to lift
It looks like it might be the beginning of the end for my Nike Lunar Glides. It's nearing that time anyway. If I haven't hit 300 miles yet, I'm really close. Either way, it's kind of satisfying to know I am literally wearing a pair of shoes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment