Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Post-Birthday Update

It's been a busy week life-wise, but not very busy running-wise!

I have been reading up on tapering and preparing for a marathon and everything points to one important thing-REST. But not too much rest. Tapering is a maddening process. I never understood before, this being my first marathon and all. But I totally get it now. You've prepared for months and for the days you want to fly by you don't do much...which makes them pass even slower! Then there is the issue of, did I run enough, should I run a little this week? How about just a few brisk walks? I don't have the answer people. I've just been trying to do a little bit of easy exercise each day, drink tons of water and eat good food to prepare my body. Last week I went on a hilly walk, ran 3 miles and did some tough yoga. This week so far I just went on the same hilly walk. At this point I'm tapering down even more just to be safe.

What else is maddening is that I set a goal of 80 miles this month that I am not going to reach. I will top out at just over 50. I don't mind, I just hate it when I set an unrealistic goal.

This week I also turned 32. I love that the marathon is right after my birthday. I love that it gives me a chance to prove that even though I'm a year older, I'm in a year's worth of better shape. I'm so thrilled to get a chance to head out and run this marathon.

I also reimplemented MyFitnessPal for real at the beginning of the month and I've already lost 5 pounds! I have expected to, but I have been working hard on making sure my intake is smart and my exercise is consistent. It feels great to have some element of control and this time I might actually make it fully to my goal! (Usually I stop about 5 pounds from it for some reason).

This marathon is super significant in the wake of the tragedy of Boston. The Eugene Marathon is beefing up security and all, but I don't think it will deter runners at all. If anything, I bet more runners hopped off of the fence they were hovered on and signed up to run at the last minute. I ordered a blue Boston Running shirt but I don't think FedEx is scheduled to deliver it until Friday afternoon and we'll already be on the road. Sucky thing is that I am not sure what I'm going to wear now. Hmmm. I'm sure I'll figure it out. I just wanted to wear something special.

So that's it kids! T-minus-a-few-hours until the festivities begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment