Saturday, February 9, 2013

Six Miles of Greatness

I love blogging...but alas I have nursing homework to do so this will be short and sweet! 

Style/Workout: 6 mile tempo run
Setting/Route: The Prom, and up Sunset Cove hill and back
Mileage: 6 miles (average of about 9 minute miles)
Progress: (running mileage): 6 today/22.75 this month/ 85.68 year-to-date (Goal-65 miles this month)

Today's run was great! I thought I was due for a long run but my schedule had my tempo today. It has been a weird week. I had an extra off day or two, not by choice but because my school schedule has been absolutely crazy and stressful.

But that's what I love about running. Even when I have had a terrible week, it makes me feel on top of the world. When I'm not conquering other feats in life, every run gives me the opportunity to conquer a goal.

Today's goal was a 6-miler, and I decided today was the day-the day to conquer the big hill! I am familiar with this hill as I have run it many times. But when you are out of shape it totally sucks, so I gave myself a few weeks before I attempted it. It was awesome! I kept a 9:25 pace going up nice and steady. I focused on my breathing a ton, and managed to not puke at the top. I have found that in tough parts of a run, focusing on breathing helps so much. It is both mental and physiological. I am exhaling lots of CO2 which helps offset the lactic acid I am accumulating. At the same time I am visualizing what is happening and imagining everything A-ok in my body. Weird maybe but it works for me :)

My first mile I got a sideache. Really? On mile 1? Yes. I hate side aches, but I seem to be plagued with them. I have gotten really good at avoiding them, and I use breathing to manage them when I do get them. Breathing again-yay! Just goes to show how important it is to learn to train your breaths. Yoga has really helped me with that.

And last little note...I learned my lesson about running with a ponytail in misty weather (or humid weather for that matter). By the time I got done, I had this HUGE rats nest in my ponytail! It was not fun to try to wash/condition/comb out! So when it doesn't appear to be a perfectly dry day, I will go with braids all the way!


No comments:

Post a Comment