Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Lunchtime Run IS Possible!!

Today's run consisted of a 5K run right after my 11am class.  I am usually NOT a lunchtime runner because I am such a big eater! I love food! Plus, I figure I need the time to sit down and decompress from my class. But as my life changes and I look ahead to next year's schedule, I realize more and more how flexible I am going to have to be if I want to keep up a good running routine. I have heard of people who go run on their lunch breaks but I have always kind of scoffed at them and said I'd never be able to do that. I mean when does one ever eat if you run on your lunch break?? It's not so complicated after all.

I ate a good breakfast which consisted of an egg, a banana and a blackberry chocolate protein 8oz. smoothie. I also filled my 40 O.Z. (lol gangsta talk...) full of water which I sipped on all morning. For a later morning snack during study group, I had a granola bar, a small homemade banana oatmeal muffin and some carrots. By gradually eating throughout the morning, I never felt stuffed yet felt plenty fueled for my noon run.

I headed out right after class to my running route. I didn't warm up which I usually do, but today was an "easy" run so I just took it easy and ran at my comfort level only (splits were 9:00, 8:45, and 8:30 respectively). My run took just under a half an hour then I headed back to school and ate a quick, small lunch. No problem!

It's great to feel like I've overcome a preconceived notion. It opens up a world of possibilities! Now I just have to wrap my head around when to (or when not to) shower...

No comments:

Post a Comment