Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2015 Comes to a Close

I have 2 jobs these days and have been working more than I ever have in my life. If it weren't for my husband and all he does at home (even though he works a lot too), I would go nuts! Things should calm down a bit as January begins but lately I have hardly had time for running let along logging my running! So here is a rundown:

I ran 174.4 miles in 2014...which is 174.4 more miles than I expected! I'm feeling great. Today's run was 4.5 miles in crazy cold temperatures as we have had a serious cold storm move through. It's awesome though, we get a touch of winter in SoCal.

Less than 3 weeks until the Carlsbad Half Marathon! I'm so excited! My longest run so far has been 8 miles which is pretty good. I still need to get a 10 miler in next, then another 8 or 9 miler. I don't see myself getting anything longer than 10 miles in before the race.

One interesting challenge has been just finding time to run. I love my morning runs. Get some coffee, get some water, toast w/almond butter & banana down, take kids to school, then go for my run. It's usually sunny and after my run I can kind of plan what chores need done, what errands I need to run, etc. But I have been working a lot of morning shifts which totally screws up my schedule. I have gotten up early once, but I hate getting up early. No matter how much motivation I try to give myself, no matter what I tell myself, I just can't get up early. I ran after work one day and that was awesome. I work in Pacific Beach for one of my jobs so there are countless gorgeous, accessible places to run nearby. A lot of the time though I have a kid in some sport that I need to get home to see. But some days it works out and it is pure bliss.

In the end I am just so thankful. I have been on quite a journey. January 9 I posted this before my surgery the next day: "With all of the nervousness I feel there is also an exponential measure of hope. This journey will take the good part of 2014, but I have hope that the end result will be a success story. I have hope that I will walk again normally, that I will run again one day. Hiking, biking, swimming, etc...I will do it again. It sucks not to be able to do it for such a long time but at least I know that once I can again, I will never-not for one second-take it for granted."

Above races to run or anything else I do this year, I'm thankful I can do anything! Here's to a healthy, injury-free 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment