Monday, April 1, 2013

Happy April!

Style/Workout: Intervals
Setting/Route: Downing and The Cove, then The Prom
Mileage: 6 miles
Progress: (running mileage): 6 today/6 this month/ 200.91 year-to-date
(For April I'm aiming for...80 miles)

Yay, I broke 200 miles! I averaged it out and at the finish of March, I am averaging 64 miles a month so far this year. That puts me on track to finish at about 775 miles this year. I'm not gonna lie, I really want to break 1,000 miles (especially since I didn't even come close last year). So far this year I am 24 miles ahead of last year. All of these major long runs are helping a ton. I might have to pull the trigger and register for the Portland Marathon in October to keep up my high-mileage motivation.

So today's run goal: Intervals. And I met my goal! At this stage of the game intervals gets more challenging. Instead of the 3/6 run/jog ratio, it's flipped to a 6/3 run/jog instead. It was challenging but I conquered it! Here are my notes:

Why am I NOT a fan of intervals? Simple answer: Because they are hard, which makes them intimidating. I think they would be better with a running partner to cheer you on. You definitely can't think too much about it, you just have to get a rundown of your workout and go. That was me today. I started out on the treadmill then halfway through my warm-up I was over running on the treadmill and took it outside.

The first interval I felt fast. I mean here I was finally, with permission to go fast. It felt really good! The intervals went really well today and I felt strong.


Today was also a test-run on my ankle. I wore my ACE wrap which helped immensely. Too bad it puts a lot of pressure on my arch, which was aching by the end. I really need to get some K-Tape and learn to wrap it that way. I've heard it works wonders.

The other bummer today was that I forgot sunblock which for me is a major broken rule. Thankfully it was cloudy.

I ended up with sweat in my eyes which is no fun, and since the weather has warmed up a few degrees I was running without gloves or extra fabric to wipe them with. Bummer.

Speaking of running outfits, I actually felt pretty cute in mine today. It wasn't anything spectacular; I wore my flared capris and my Princess Half Marathon tech shirt (which I usually hate because it is v-neck and cap-sleeved) and I wore my pink sparkly Sweaty Bands headband. I usually don't wear anything sparkly or girly on runs but it felt really good. I might have to place an order for some new headbands for a little added flare on my runs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment